October 8, 2012 | 7 Comments »
Are you guys sick of pumpkin yet? I’m not going to lie. I sort of am. But I said my theme would be pumpkin so I’m going to stick it out for as long as I can.
I was never really big on rice crispy treats. But once in a while I find myself wanting one. I’ve never made the vegan version before. I didn’t think it was possible. I have purchased the boxed kind sold at health food stores and while I found them to be good they were nothing like I remembered. I really wanted something more marshmallowy and gooey. So I took my search to the interwebs and found that lots of the vegan recipes call for various syrups. Then I stumbled upon this recipe. It’s pretty much the same way you’d make the traditional treats which is exactly what I was looking for. Also, it gave me the chance to finally experiment with some Dandies. I made a few changes to the recipe to make it pumpkiny and autumny.
Makes: 12 treats
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp pumpkin spice syrup (recipe here, or you can use pure maple syrup)
- 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bag Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
- 4 cups crispy brown rice cereal (I used Erewhon)
- 1/2 cup pecan bits, toasted
- In a large saucepan on medium-high heat combine the butter, pumpkin spice syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix together until melted. Add the bag of Dandies and continue to stir until mostly melted (but not completely). Lower the heat and add the rice cereal. Mix until all of the cereal is coated.
- Remove from heat and pour into an 8×8 inch pan lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray. Press mixture into the pan. Top with toasted pecans and press firmly into the treats. I used the back of a spatula to do this.
- Refrigerate for about an hour or until the treats are no longer soft and hold their shape. Flip pan onto a cutting board and slice into 12 squares.
Have fun washing that saucepan. ;)