March 25, 2013 | 1 Comment »
Have you guys seen or heard of the new Barista Style Coconut Creamers by So Delicious? There are 2 flavors; French Vanilla and Original. These make me extremely happy because a) they are LARGER, b) they are shelf stable, and c) the packaging looks super fancy! Normally I hate cooking/baking with creamer because I drink A LOT of coffee and tea throughout the day and I was afraid of running out. All I ever had on hand was those traditional teeny tiny containers. Which I’m not at all knocking because I stocked my fridge FULL of them. But it’ll be nice to have some larger containers that are more of a space saver AND shelf stable! Finally a creamer that’s shelf stable! Considering the nearest store I can obtain vegan creamers is a good 45 minute drive away this is great news for me! See all those exclamation points? I’m sure you can tell just how excited I am.
So far I’ve only tried the original flavor. It’s so rich and creamy! And since I had enough on hand I was able to finally part with some of my beloved creamer and bake with it. I decided to whip up a batch of maple bacon scones. Which go great with a cup of Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk. Mmm…
Makes: 8 scones
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp brown sugar, separated
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance Coconut Spread
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp So Delicious Barista Style Original Coconut Creamer
- 1 tsp pure maple extract
- 5 strips Lightlife Smart Bacon
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp So Delicious Barista Style Original Coconut Creamer
- 1/4 tsp pure maple extract
- Preheat oven to 425°. Lay bacon strips on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle 1 tbsp brown sugar over the top. You can also rub the brown sugar into the strips a bit to try and spread it out more evenly. Cook for 5 minutes on one side, remove from oven, flip over, sprinkle with 1 tbsp brown sugar, and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cool, cut into small dice and set aside.
- In a stand mixer combine both flours, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and remaining 2 tbsp brown sugar. Mix until ingredients are incorporated. Cut the butter into the flour mixture and mix until mixture is coarse and resembles sand.
- Mix the extract into the coconut creamer. Add to the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in bacon.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat into an 8-10 inch circle with lightly floured hands. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly brush the tops of the scones with a little coconut creamer. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
Calories: 202 Fat: 5 g Sugar: 12 g Sodium: 304 mg Protein: 5 g Iron: 7%